Okay…if it wasn’t official before, it’s official now. Dove is the best at speaking to their audience in their language about the stuff the audience cares about. This video connects in a very powerful way. Yeah, it can be argued that it’s not about soap. But it is about self-image and that’s a topic I believe we can all connect with; women and men.
This story told in this video is impressive on many levels. I thought I’d just riff about a few of them in this post.
- First of all, let me just say, that I’m amazed at the talent of the sketch artist who was able to take simple verbal descriptions and draw such incredible sketches. The whole point of the exercise was that he would draw without seeing. His talent is huge.
- To me, there’s a magic moment at about the 1:45 mark. This is the moment when the woman realizes the real impact of this exercise. She looks the two sketches and she sees the differences in the two. Then…she…get’s it. The look on her face is priceless.
- We all are prone to believing the lie about our own self image. We either think too highly of ourselves (not as common as you might think), or more likely, we think too little of ourselves. We buy into the argument that we have no beauty or talent or skill. The dragon torments us with messages of failure and ugliness and worthlessness…and we buy it.
- The ad did such a terrific job of showing women, none of whom were models but, who had a beauty all their own. And the sketch artist did a great job of illustrating that.
- Wait. Hold on. I’m not done with #3 yet. When we buy into this notion that we’re not as good (or as skilled or as attractive or as talented) as someone else, we’re already beaten. The enemy has us in a weakened state and once there, he knows we’ll believe any lie he wants to pitch our way. Here’s what you have to understand. Your enemy KNOWS you. He knows your vulnerabilities and he’s poised to take advantage of them. But here’s another thing you must know…he’s a liar. What he says about you isn’t the truth. That’s the cool thing about this video. I know Dove never intended this to be a spiritual message but that’s the way I’m interpreting it. This video shows the difference between the lie we believe and the truth that is real.
Just to be clear; the lie is that you are ugly, unskilled, and undesirable.
The truth is that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are a one-off. There is no one else in this world (in the past, present or future) who is like you.
There is beauty in that realization alone.
You carry within you your Creator’s DNA, His thumbprint.
Don’t believe the lie. You are more beautiful than you think.
Oh…and #6. I love that loft.